You can save money on energy bills by making your home more energy-efficient. One of the best ways to do this is to increase the level of insulation inside your home. Batt insulation is one of the common types of insulation used. It comes in the form of pre-cut rock or fiberglass. Batt insulation can be used to insulate floors, walls, ceilings and attics. More often, it is used to fit between the framing of the home. Batts are sold in a variety of R-values. They are also manufactured in different sizes for easy transportation. Batts is the most comfortable and cheapest way to insulate new walls. However, they are often poorly installed leaving small gaps. This reduces the efficiency of insulation to as much as 25%.
Tips for Batt Insulation
- Always wear protective clothing while doing the insulation. The protective clothing includes gloves, pants, long sleeves, and protective eyewear.
- If you are using faced batt insulation, be sure to place the facing closer to the living space.
- Always measure the perfect fit. Measure the spaces between joists and studs where you will be installing insulation. Buy batts that are cut to fit the areas. If batts are cut in small sizes, they may leave gaps of uninsulated space. It will reduce the effectiveness of insulation. To avoid this, use a knife to cut the batts to fit in oddly shaped areas.
How to Install Batt Insulation
- Fill all voids
The key to batt insulation quality is tight-fitting completely to fill the stud cavity with no gaps and voids. Push the batts all the way to the back of each stud space and pull out front edges.
- Fit batt tightly around electrical boxes and cables
Running a full batt in front of electrical wires leaves uninsulated space behind. To avoid this, use split batts to fit around electrical cables. You can tear the batt into half.
- Fit first, then cut to length
Always cut the batts to length by setting the top of the batt into space and finally cut against the bottom plate with a sharp object.
Benefits of Batt Insulation
- It is the least expensive way to insulate your home. Professionals install the product faster, and it has the lowest fixed price.
- Batt insulation is flexible- It is available in pre-cut panels and rolls thus can be installed between rafters, joists, blocks and studs without leaving gaps.
- It is high energy efficient – If installed correctly, it can reduce the amount of energy required to cool and heat a home by 50%.
Batt insulation maintains its effectiveness because it does not settle over some time. It is readily available with or without facing acts such as water vapor and air barriers.
Find out what Insulation Contractors do
Need a professional Insulation Contractor in Peterborough? Eco Insulation Peterborough should be your first choice!